ARTICLE AD BOX
Requisition ID: 42013
Job Category: Infrastructure; Engineering
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors, we see challenges evolving in every industry. We respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9,000 staff, with experience in over 150 countries, to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
Our expertise in infrastructure includes aviation, highways and bridges, planning and advisory services, ports, rail and transit, tunnels, and water. Want to be part of the creation and construction of our cities? Then the infrastructure team is for you!
Looking to take the next step in your career?
Hatch is currently seeking highly motivated Tunnel Engineers – Geostructrual to join the Infrastructure group in our Tunnels and Underground Infrastructure team based out of Hatch’s technical excellence center in Mississauga where, among other notable achievements, the first segmental tunnel linings used in North America were designed for the Toronto Transit Commission.
New infrastructure and revitalizing assets are a key part of growth for any economy. We work with our clients to imagine and build cities of the future through a constant commitment to innovation and cutting-edge technology.
Our knowledge of infrastructure includes aviation, highways and bridges, planning and advisory services, ports, rail and transit, tunnels, and water. Want to be part of the creation and construction of our cities? Then the infrastructure team is for you!
You will be required to work within our integrated team where daily tasks include carrying out feasibility assessments, option development, preliminary and detailed level of design and numerical modelling. Your work will focus on ground-structure interaction assessment and engineering design components of underground structures including tunnels, shafts, caverns and box structure.
As the successful candidate, you will:
- Be a key member of our Tunnel group assisting in the preparation of ground-structure numerical simulation models, analysis, geotechnical and structural design for tunnel and underground infrastructure projects including drawings and specifications.
- Assist in the development and assessment of preliminary design options
- Complete ground-structural engineering analyses including reinforced concrete tunnel lining, shells, walls, slabs, deep foundations, retaining structures and support of excavations. Prepare technical drawings and specifications for concrete, reinforcement steel, structural steel, support of excavation and grouting.
- Identify structure design criteria for durability and strength and identify structure loads based on project requirements and in close coordination with other disciplines.
- Carry out advanced modelling works using software built-in or add-on codes and functionalities. Hold and/or participate in modelling review meetings.
- Prepare engineering design calculations, write memoranda and reports including numerical modelling report.
- Review engineering calculations, reports, drawings and contractor submittals.
- Carry out site inspection works for tunnels, shaft and underground structures and prepare site visit reports
- Collaborate with your counterparts on multidisciplinary design teams to ensure completed designs are fully coordinated
- Prepare design, tender and contract documents
- Coordinate with project stakeholders, including other disciplines, clients, contractors and suppliers
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams, take initiative to address problems and be a self-starter
- Deliver quality service to our clients and communities served
You bring to the role:
- Computational Geomechanics, Structural or Geotechnical Engineering degree from an accredited University. Graduate degree(s) would be considered a definite asset. Candidates with strong geostructural and numerical modelling background will be given priority.
- 5+ years of experience (or 3+ years of experience with graduate degrees) in the design and construction of structures with an emphasis on underground structures. Design and construction experience in tunnels and underground infrastructure would be an asset.
- Professional Engineer with the P.Eng. designation in Ontario (or equivalent) is an asset.
- Practical experience with ground-structure interaction software such as FLAC2D, FLAC3D, UDEC3D is required and experience with other structural and geotechnical engineering software such as SAP2000, ETABS, RS2, RS3 is definite asset.
- Experience and good understanding of Canadian and American structural design codes and standards
- Good understanding of geotechnical engineering interpretation and ground constitutive behavior (soil and rock) would be a definite asset.
- Strong ability in at least one programming language is a must.
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office is mandatory. Experience with industry standard CADD software is preferred.
- Ability to work independently, solve problems, exercise good judgment, interact with other staff and collaborate with other disciplines
Why join us?
- Work with great people to make a difference
- Collaborate on exciting projects to develop innovative solutions
- Top employer
What we offer you?
- Flexible work environment
- Long term career development
- Think globally, work locally
We're committed to fostering a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate and serve. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers applicants without regard to age, race, color, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected status. If you have any accommodation requirements, please let us know. We'll do our best to meet your needs in accordance with applicable local legislation.