ARTICLE AD BOX
Requisition ID: 31819
Location: Programming and Learning - Central Library
The Vancouver Public Library (VPL) is the third largest public library system in Canada, with 800 staff members offering services at 21 branches across the city. VPL values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly service. Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive, and rewarding workplace.
Job Summary: Reporting to the Head of Cultural Programming or Assistant Manager, the Librarian plans and delivers programs, series, classes and events to the public, and supports research, assessment and planning within the department. They ensure that VPL’s public events and celebrations provide a window into the vast resources of our library and city. The incumbent is a professional member of the Programming and Learning Services team and works collaboratively with colleagues within the Programming & Learning department and in branches across the city to ensure service priorities are met. They demonstrate and model conduct that adheres to the library’s policies and procedures in accordance with the Library’s vision, mission and values.
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited library school, supplemented by courses in public speaking, teaching, instructional design and digital technologies.
- Experience in the provision of library services with an emphasis on programming, and public speaking.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of librarianship
- Excellent public speaking and instructional skills
- Considerable knowledge of methods involved in providing library services and ability to apply the same
- Working knowledge of the objectives, organization, procedures, services and resources of the library
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to plan, organize and carry out assigned duties and responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Ability to meet the public, promote interest in library services, assists library patrons, and interpret and explain library policies and regulations.
- Ability to provide advice and direction to non-professional staff engaged in library clerical duties
- Ability to initiate, develop, and maintain collaborative relationships with community partners
Additional information and leadership competencies can be found in the job description.
Affiliation: CUPE 391
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time (August 9, 2021 - August 5, 2022)
Salary: $34.96 to $41.16 per hour
Week 1: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 9:00-5:00pm, Wednesday 1:00-9:00pm, Saturday and Sunday OFF.
Week 2: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 9:00-5:00pm, Wednesday 1:00-9:00pm, Monday and Sunday OFF.
Week 3: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 9:00-5:00pm, Wednesday 1:00-9:00pm, Saturday and Sunday OFF.
Week 4: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 9:00-5:00pm, Wednesday 1:00-9:00pm, Saturday and Sunday OFF.
Note: Work schedules may change with reasonable notice.
Closing date: Monday, November 1, 2021 at 11:59pm
We thank all applicants for their interest. The applicant must be prepared to work at any location in the system. A Police Record Check is a condition of employment. Please refer to our policy for further information. Personal information collected is used in accordance with the BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Vancouver Public Library is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to further diversifying the Library
VPL Safety Protocols for Interviews:
In order to ensure the safety and well-being of staff during the pandemic we are offering the option of in-person or virtual interviews. Virtual interviews will be conducted over Zoom. Zoom interviews may be conducted from home or from the Central Library where a computer with video camera will be available.
For staff who prefer in-person interviews, we have the following safe Interviewing during the Pandemic protocols:
- Only come to your interview if you are feeling well – if you are feeling unwell contact HR to reschedule
- Interviews will be scheduled in a staggered manner to minimize contact between candidates
- Candidates should arrive only 5 minutes before their scheduled interview time to minimize time spent in waiting areas
- Candidates and each interviewer will maintain at least two meters (six feet) of physical distance between each other
- Only Interview rooms that can accommodate this physical distancing will be used
- Candidates and interviewers may wear a face mask as a protective measure
- Antibacterial gel will be provided to candidates as soon as they enter the HR area
- We will no longer be shaking hands at the introduction and conclusion of the interview
- Where to sit will be clearly indicated and where possible chairs with hard surfaces and without arm rests will be used
- High-touch areas (e.g. the hard surfaces of the chair and table) will be wiped down after each interview with disinfecting wipes