Job Requisition Id: 97161
Business Function: Operations Support
Primary City: North Bay
Employment Type: Temporary – New
Employment Status: Temporary
Language Requirement: Bilingual Imperative (BBBB)
Employee Class and Level:
Number of Vacancies: 10
Job Closing Date (MM/DD/YYYY):02/26/2021
On a relief basis, supervises the mail delivery and mail processing operations within a Local Area. This includes the activities of letter carriers, RSMC’s and CUS assigned to deliver the mail as well as the efficient manual processing of mail on assigned shift. Acts as the “voice of the company”, sharing performance expectations, business updates and results regularly with team members. This position requires fluency in both English and French.
Below are the main job requirements and responsibilities for the Supervisor, Operations Relief.
- For mail delivery, supervises the daily operation of a team to ensure the safe and efficient sortation, routing and delivery of mail in accordance with regulations procedures and instructions.
- For mail processing, supervises the processing of all classes of mail in a postal facility. Sets daily priorities to ensure that deadlines and service commitments are met. Monitors and follows up on delivery and scanning exceptions. Liaises with other functions in operations to ensure the efficient movement of mail.
- Promotes and implements work place safety and health programs for their work unit. Coaches and directs employees on safe work practices in order to reduce accident frequency and severity; conducts investigations, and reports and follows up on accident incidences. Addresses and resolves health and safety issues in a timely and efficient manner and may participate as a member of the local health and safety committee. Oversees the return-to-work and accommodation of employees unable to perform the full range of duties in their job.
- Supervises, coaches and provides guidance and leadership to employees, promoting a respectful environment in the workplace. Administers human resources processes such as staffing, performance management, disability management and attendance management. Resolves staff issues, including disciplinary action if required. Consults with Labour Relations and/or union representatives on the application of the terms of the collective agreement. Creates learning and knowledge transfer opportunities for assigned staff.
- Estimates workloads in order to arrange for adequate staff to be on duty, recommends and sometimes authorizes the use of overtime as required. Assigns and confirms available staff to different areas of the operation according to fluctuating mail volume. Requests additional equipment or services as required.
Job Responsibilities (continued)
- Evaluates current operational methods and procedures and recommends improvements to optimize operational efficiency. Implements changes and communicates with support groups as required.
- Conducts daily observations of employee productivity. Investigates abnormalities and works to improve performance and implement best practices in productivity. Analyzes daily productivity reports to determine problems and trends. Shares analysis and results with team.
- Maintains administrative records on volumes processed and employees’ time and leave in SAP. Performs administrative tasks related to the operation of the shift. Produces reports, resolves related data issues and performs other administrative tasks associated with a team leader role.
- Promotes good relations with external stakeholders such as bargaining unit representatives, contractors, customers and the general public.
- High School diploma or provincial equivalent (GED) (Equivalent Experience may be accepted in lieu of a High School Diploma)
- Minimum 1 year experience managing a team OR Minimum 2 years’ experience working within a unionized environment
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (i.e., understand the major features of each software application)
Other Candidate Requirements
- Fluently bilingual in English and French
- Post-secondary degree/diploma
Safety Sensitive Positions
This position may be considered a Safety Sensitive position.
Canada Post is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities.
Conflict of Interest
The Conflict of Interest Policy prohibits employees from hiring, supervising or reporting to, directly or indirectly via the reporting hierarchy, their immediate family or close personal relations. Should you feel that you may be in an actual or potential Conflict of Interest in regard to this job opportunity, you must communicate with the designated Human Resources representative.
If you are contacted by Canada Post regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you require accommodation.
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements as Canada Post cannot make assumptions about your education and experience. We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Decision Making – A champion of the organization who takes calculated risks and makes prudent, common sense decisions about current issues, future opportunities and resource requirements in a timely, well thought out manner, that aligns with the corporation's best interests.
Accountability – An individual who strives for performance excellence and who holds him/herself and direct reports accountable for decisions and actions and for learning from mistakes when intended results are not achieved.
Business Orientation – A proactive individual who understands the competitive nature of the business, and is committed to sustaining the business through excellent customer service and new business opportunities.
Execution – A focused and self-motivated individual who acts with a sense of urgency and delivers on time and within budget, by dealing effectively with challenges and ambiguous situations.
Leading People – A compelling communicator and leader who engages, motivates and inspires others to achieve results and who encourages personal growth and finding better ways of doing things.
Canada Post’s corporate values reflect the principles, beliefs and aspirations that guide our behaviour and shape our culture.
Transformation – We will innovate and transform to win in the marketplace.
Customer – We serve Canadians with pride and passion.
Integrity – We act responsibly and with integrity.
Respect – We treat each other with fairness and respect.
Safety – We are committed to a safe and healthy environment for all our stakeholders